Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Low Cal Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

Since my mind is in "lala" land right now, this post is going to be short and sweet.

I had full intentions to write up a big blog post since I got home from work early...well that plan wait straight to the gutter. You know how it goes. Get home from work, futz around, surf the web, and before you know it...oops it's already almost time for dinner. I guess I will leave that for my day off.

Today I'm going to share with you a recipe using two of my most favorite things:

Chocolate & Peanut Butter

It's absolutely the best combination...in my opinion anyways. I'm sure a lot of you can agree on this one. So when I became a vegan, I knew my Reese's Peanut butter cups days were sadly over. Sure there are brands that offer vegan alternatives such as Justin's Peanut Butter cups, which are available to purchase in most supermarkets such as Stop & Shop. But who wants to pay $1 for one measly cup?! Not me, that's for sure. So I found a recipe and adjusted it to my tastes and preferences, and re-created my own healthy version of a "Reese's" Peanut Butter Cup. These are perfect for your mid-day chocolate cravings when you want a little treat!

Healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Serves 12

Ingredients

For the Bottom Layer:
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/4 cup powdered peanut flour (such as PB2)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 packet of stevia
For the Top Layer:
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/4 cup powdered peanut flour (such as PB2)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 packet of stevia
 
Directions:

1. Line a mini-muffin tin with 12 mini cupcake liners.
2. Mix your powdered peanut butter with your water for each layer, set aside.
3. In two separate bowls (one for bottom layer & one for top layer) mix together all of your ingredients, including your peanut butter mixture for each.
4. Divide the bottom layer evenly between your 12 cupcake liners. Next add your top layer (peanut butter layer) on top of your bottom layer (chocolate layer).
5. Freeze for at least 10-20 minutes before eating. Store these in the freezer!

I like to plop these out of the freezer 5 minutes before enjoying!


Nutrition Information
(Source MFP)
  • Calories: 60
  • Total Fat: 5 grams
  • Total Carbs: 3 grams
  • Total Protein: 2 grams
  • Total Sugar: 0 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment