Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes

When I was a kid growing up, I'd always look forward to sleeping over my grandma's house.

It was the absolute best for a number of reasons:
1. No parents
2. Bed time wasn't enforced
3. Fun and silly games
4. Pancakes for breakfast


Every time I'd sleep-over my grandparent's house, my grandma would whip up some fluffy and buttery pancakes for breakfast the next morning. She would be creative sometimes, and even form them into mickey mouse ears and throw in some M & M's for a little treat.

Now, I'm grown up. Unfortunately my sleepovers at grandma's house are now over. I've also cleaned up my bad eating habits, but who says you can't make delicious pancakes healthy?

Here's my healthy spin on my favorite child-hood breakfast:

Healthy Single-Serve Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1 packet of Truvia (or other sweetener)
  • 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar-free maple-syrup
Directions:
  1. In a small mason jar or container, combine all your ingredients. Shake or stir until everything is well combined. Store in your refrigerater overnight.
  2. The next day, take your oat mixture out of the fridge. Your mix should be almost like pancake batter consistency.
  3. Heat a skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Pour your oatmeal batter onto the pan, and form into one or two small patties. Let them sit and cook for at least 3-5 minutes.
  4. Once you are able to, flip over your patties and cook the other side. Cook your pancakes until lightly browned and cooked through.
  5. Once they are ready, transfer your oatmeal pancakes onto a plate. Serve with some more maple syrup, and other toppings you'd like to add (fruit, cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc.)
Nutrition Information
(Source: MFP)
  • Calories: 203
  • Total Fat: 6 grams
  • Total Carbohydrates: 36 grams
  • Total Fiber: 7 grams
  • Total Protein: 7 grams
  • Total Sugar: 1 gram

1 comment: