Friday, April 18, 2014

Why I Became Vegetarian

I was going to make a blog post about this sooner or later, so I thought I'd write about it now while you're getting to know me a little better.

I haven't been a vegetarian for that long. Actually it will only be two years this August. When I left for college, I had the worst eating habits ever.

Here is a list of the foods which I ate before college (which is very short):


  • Chicken
  • Steak (This was a treat in my household)
  • Spaghetti
  • Pizza
  • Peanut Butter Sandwiches
  • Turkey Sandwiches
  • Chips, Cheez-its, Pretzels, etc.
Honestly though, I don't think I could expand on that list anymore besides maybe french fries and cookies, does that count? Basically, I ate like complete crap and there was no fruit, vegetables or dairy in my diet. I also didn't eat breakfast unless my mom shoved a pop-tart down my throat.

Then I went to college, and I had to expand my taste in foods because I didn't have my mother cooking to my needs anymore.

After moving to college, I expanded my food list to:
  • Fish
  • Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, etc)
  • Cereal with milk
  • Yogurt
  • Fresh vegetables
  • Hummus
  • Beans, Rice, Quinoa, etc.
When I changed my diet, my whole entire life changed. Not only did I lose weight, but I felt good about myself. My appearance, energy, and attitude was better, and I also started to run faster and stronger.

But okay, why vegetarianism?

Well, since moving to college, I always toyed with the idea. I met a couple girls on the cross country team who were vegan and I basically looked up to them. They were amazing. These girls were everyone's best friend. They had everything going for them; brains, beauty, friends, and well...they were really really fast. I thought maybe if I was vegan or vegetarian, that I'd be just as good as they were. My junior year, I decided to try vegetarianism. It lasted a good 2 months. It's not that I didn't miss meat or anything, I just was not feeling my best and was fatigued all the time. Then again, I wasn't fueling myself with the proper nutrients back in college so not being a vegetarian in college was probably the best decision I ever made.

After graduating college, I came home and started to listen and fuel my body better. If I was hungry, I ate. If I was full, I stopped eating. If I really wanted ice cream, you better believe I got myself some ice cream. So when I got my life back on track, I decided to try vegetarianism again. But this time, I did it right. Sure it also helped that I was home and my mother bought most of my ingredients, but that's not the point...really. 

I decided if I was really going to be a vegetarian, then I needed to eat well and that included good protein, vitamins, and healthy fats. The only thing I was excluding from my diet was really just chicken and beef. To be honest, I never was a fan of meat. Sure it was good, but if you asked me today what I really miss from my carnivore days...I'd say "My mom's home-made chicken cutlets." That's really the only thing I enjoyed that my mom made "meat-wise," and I still get a ping of jealousy when I smell it in the kitchen when she cooks if for my dad. Anything else though, burgers, steak, bacon, etc...don't miss it in a heart-beat. Burgers were only a once in awhile occurrence when my dad and I were on our own for dinner, and steak was only cooked for special occasions in my house. And bacon...never liked it, ever.

So when people ask me today, Why are you a vegetarian?

I still am kind of stumped at what to exactly say. It really wasn't about the animal cruelty, but don't get me wrong...I love animals. But I know that by not eating meat, it's not going to change the fact that animals are getting slaughtered every day. People need to live, and I understand that. I guess what it really is all about, is my true well-being. I feel better with this life-style. I love eating fresh vegetables, fruit, fish, cheese, tofu, eggs, grains, etc. I also like to share my love for this food with my family, and cook and bake healthy but delicious things. Just because if something doesn't contain meat or butter, it doesn't mean it doesn't have to taste good.

Now for the past month and a half or so, I have become vegan for Lent. It never dawned on me that it would be possible to live this kind of life-style. It limits a lot of your options and you really need to read the labels. However, I have come to realize that I feel EVEN BETTER about myself. I have cut out all dairy which is in a lot of things including ice cream, yogurt, cheese, chocolate, creamy salad dressings, mayo and even some breads. I have also cut out anything that contains eggs, and of course fish...my love. Now this may sound like a lot...because it is, but if you asked me if I missed any of it, I'd probably say no. Well maybe I miss a few things, but I truly believe that I have lost most of my cravings since starting this diet. And there are so many alternatives; there's dairy-free cheese, milk, ice cream, chocolate, mayo, dressing, etc. But does being vegan automatically make you healthy? NO. There are plenty of processed and packaged foods including OREOS (yes oreos are vegan) that are not healthy for you. You need to include fresh vegetables, fruit, grains, nuts, beans, etc, while also including some daily exercise.

Did I completely deprive myself on this diet? NO. I treated myself to vegan ice cream, animal crackers, cookies, etc. but in MODERATION. I also am a very active person, and it's no problem to burn off those calories. But by no means am I going to live this lifestyle FOREVER. Maybe down the road I will, but after Lent...I'm going to treat myself to a piece of grilled salmon, and a Ralph's Italian Cream Ice because I deserve to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment